Tape-in hair extensions are the most popular semi-permanent hair extension method on the market - and for good reason! Tape-in hair extensions are easy to conceal, light weight and 100% damage free. No chemicals or tools are used during the application process and application only takes one hour (approx.). Although tape-in hair extensions seem easy to apply, they absolutely need to be installed by a professional stylist who is certified in tape-in hair extension application. It is worth investing the money to have your extensions installed properly so you have a fabulous experience. Please follow our golden rules below to ensure you get the most out of your Philocaly extensions.
1) Your sister, daughter, boyfriend, best friend, mom, or second-cousin-once-removed are not qualified to apply your Philocaly hair extensions. Unless any of the above are professionals who are trained in tape-in application, now is not the time to call them up, watch a YouTube tutorial and have them experiment with your hair. Tape-in hair extensions are only damage free when applied by a professional who is certified in tape-in application.
2) Not all stylists are trained in tape-in application. Stylists take courses to learn how to colour, cut, and style hair before they actually take bleach or scissors to a clients hair. The same goes with extensions. Stylists need to be trained in tape-in extension techniques before they can start applying extensions. Tape-in certification ensures your stylist is able to properly apply your extensions for long lasting and damage-free wear. At the end of the day, you have spent a lot of money on your Philocaly extensions - it is worth that little bit more to have them professionally installed so you love your new look. One bad experience can result in never wanting to wear tape-in hair extensions again, while an amazing experience will make you wonder how you ever lived without them. Not sure who to go to? Check out our list of Philocaly verified salons.
1) Make sure you apply Philocaly extensions to freshly washed hair. It is imperative you work on a clean canvas.
2) Philocaly tabs are extremely thin (which allows for easy concealment and zero damage), therefore it is important to use thin sections of hair in between the tabs (approx. 1/8 of an inch) to ensure your clients do not get slips! The tabs on both extensions NEED to stick together through the hair. As a rule of thumb, if you can not see the tab under your section of hair, your section is too big.
3) Do not install extensions to the baby hairs on the nape of the neck. The hair is very weak at this spot. Applying extensions here can lead to breakage.
4) Do not install extensions too close (or on) your clients scalp. This will cause damage and severe irritation for your client.
5) Make sure your client does not wash their hair for 48 hours after application to allow the tabs to set.
6) Ensure your client is instructed on proper at home maintenance. Using sulfate free products at home is non-negotiable as sulfate will make the tabs slip.
If you would like hands on tape-in hair extension training, please keep an eye out for upcoming Philocaly certification classes. No classes in your area? No sweat! Register for our online certification class. Our classes include education on consultation, preparation, colour matching, application, blending, maintenance and removal. Even if you have worked with tape-in hair extensions before, we teach the latest tips and tricks from top stylists as well as Philocaly specific training on our difference, hair and brand. Education is only available to registered stylists.