Achieving a seamless, natural look for your clients' locks lies in your ability to match their natural hair colour and blend it with their extensions.
Unfortunately, this process proves to be no easy feat, as there are several factors to consider when selecting a shade - from assessing the skin tone and the colour of the roots, mids, and ends of the hair, to determining the hair type, density, and length.
To simplify the process, we've put together nine new exciting shades that we know will make it easier to closely match your client's natural hair. Whether you're looking for something bold like Hot Tamale or subtle like Bronde Sugar, our newest selections will surely bring that dramatic change your client is looking for!
But before you add these gorgeous extensions to your cart, it's crucial that you first master how to pick the right colours for your clients. Let's break down the process below, as told by our in-house colour experts.
Step 1: Assess the state of your client's hair
When considering whether a client is a good candidate for extensions, look at the health of her natural hair. If it's damaged or unhealthy in some way, adding extra weight and length might be too much for those follicles to handle. In this case, it is important to note its texture and length. These two factors will have an impact on the approach that you take with styling.
For fine-haired clients with breakage problems or new moms suffering from postpartum hair loss, keratin bonds are the best choice. Keratin bonds, also known as k-tip extensions, work like magic, as they look extremely natural, feel like real hair, and last from three to six months.
Got average to thick hair? Your client can be red carpet-ready within two to four hours when you apply beaded row extensions. This method is perfect for almost anyone, so long as they do not have a sensitive scalp or alopecia. To install these extensions, you can choose between Philocaly's hand-tied wefts or flat wefts.
If your client is looking for a quick fix within a tighter budget, you can also recommend tape-ins. Tape-in extensions are a great option if you want to add volume or length without committing to permanent hair changes. They're also easy and relatively painless—we promise!
Step 2: Get the correct colour ring
If you're new to this biz, here's a tip: Ensure you purchase an updated colour ring from the company you will be ordering your hair from. This will help you find more accurate shades than just based on the colours on your computer. In most cases, using at least two shades is recommended unless your client has platinum or black hair.
Philocaly Hair has undergone years of perfecting shades to ensure we have the best and most accurate colour options on the market. Since our colour rings feature actual samples of extensions and hair colours, as a hairstylist, you will find it more accurate as you hold it up against your client's hair and figure out the right shade to order.
Step 3: Match the colour from the Magic 3
Every head of hair is different, so every colour significantly differs as well. As soon as you have your colour ring, the next thing that you should do is to match it up with these three sections of the hair: the roots, mids, and ends.
To do this, you must hold up the colour ring in these sections to see the colour variations. This is important because it will help you determine how much colour you’ll need and where exactly on your client's head you need to apply each.
To get that perfect match, it is recommended to use at least two shades. One thing to also note is, you might also need two different shades even if your client has solid-coloured hair. This is because the colour of their hair will fade over time, so having a backup tone is a practical move, as it lessens the need for a touch-up.
If you can work with at least two shades, you’ll effortlessly add more depth and dimension to your client’s locks.
Hottest Shades For All Skin Tones
Whatever look your client is going for, you can help them pull it off quickly by recommending colours that are hot right now!
Let's take a closer look at the nine best ones that'll make their tresses look runway-ready at any time:
- Throwing Shade - Stun with this glorious light brown shade (level 5) that is suited for anyone who wants to look like a star, no matter their skin tone!
- Chocolate Kiss - Make heads turn with this rich, warm brown shade (level 5) with caramel tones, perfect for rocking a solid-coloured head or balayage look.
- Vanilla Pecan - Glow like a bombshell with this classic medium blonde shade (level 8) that'll look picture-perfect with a shoulder-grazing cut.
- Bronde Sugar - Add immaculate curly textures to your head with this medium blonde shade (level 8) and lowlights (levels 6 and 7) for a flattering look.
- Hampton Hunnie- An absolute fave among celebrities and socialites, this dark blonde shade (level 6) with neutral beige blonde ends (level 8) is perfect for those who want to steal the spotlight.
- Just Beachy - Create striking highlights with this natural-looking shade with dark blonde roots (level 6) that transition into light blonde (level 9). To add more dimension, it also comes with medium blond lowlights (level 8) for that beach babe vibe.
- Cinnamon Dolce- Enhance facial features beautifully with this cinnamon-inspired highlighter shade (level 8 copper root into warm level 9 blonde ends) designed exclusively by the world-renowned stylist Abbey Brooke.
- Hot Tamale - Make a bold statement with this spicy shade that features a vibrant copper hue (level 6) that'll surely make her stand out from the crowd. This is the second vibrant hue in Abbey Brooke’s new collection.
- Ginger Snap - Look chic and polished with this alluring copper hue (level 8) that offers the perfect amount of warmth and depth. It’s the third bombshell colour in the newly launched Abbey Brooke collection.
Ready to upgrade your hair styling game? Mix and match these shades to create a personalised look your clients will be raving about.
Shop our latest collection of head-turning new shades today. Got any shades you'd like to see in our range next? Let us know in the comments, and we'll do our best to bring them to life.